The objectives of the small grants program to support research and advocate for the interests of key affected populations with community participation (further – Program) are:
- Strengthen the capacity of organizations in Saint Petersburg to conduct research with community participation.
- Collect information on access to prevention services as well as services for care and support regarding HIV for key affected populations (PWUD, MSM, SW, girls, teens, and young women); and existing barriers to receive them.
- Allow for wider advocacy of the interests of key affected populations at the local, national, regional, and national levels using the data gathered.
- Announcement of the contest – 02 July, 2019
- Deadline to submit applications – end of the day 16 July, 2019
- Announcement of the contest results – by 25 July, 2019
- Period for implementation – until 31 December, 2019
No less than 5 grants in total will be allocated. The planned grant amount is 400,000 rubles.
Applications will be reviewed only by applicants who fulfill the following criteria:
- Representing an organization/initiative group working in Saint Petersburg;
- An organization/initiative group acting on behalf of and representing the interests of the community;
- Working for one or more of the following key affected populations: people who use drugs (PWUD), LGBT+, sex workers (SW), girls/teens, young women;
- Capable of demonstrating the significance and active participation of community representatives in conducting the research.
- Participant in the training on community-participatory research that was held June 24-25, 2019 in Saint Petersburg.
Requirements for completing the application and for the research:
- Research on topics related to HIV/AIDS including issues of sexual health, tuberculosis, viral hepatitis, adherence to treatment, psychological aspects, and others, barriers to using condoms.
- The research must be geared towards substantiating hypotheses which determine the causal relationships (causal research), and/or evaluate the need and explain the behavior of the key affected group which can further by used to develop interventions. A meta-analysis or analysis of legislation and programs will not receive funding under the small grants program.
The application, and as a consequence, the research, should consist of two components:
1. Research must combine both mandatory research areas and priority ones that best meet the needs of the organization / initiative group:
- Required research components — study of the barriers to using condoms. You will be provided with a survey with questions, which takes no more than 20 minutes to complete. If your application will be accepted, we will assist you in integrating the required part of the survey into your research.
- Research topic choices:
– research to study the challenges in receiving medical services in treatment and prevention institutions;
– research to study the lack of personal care for one’s health;
– your own proposal for research.
2. Activities aimed at promoting the results of the study of KP. You can include in the project both measures to promote the results of your planned research (the mandatory component and “optional” component), as well as measures to promote the results of studies previously conducted by your organization.
Applications for the small grant contest for community-participatory research must be submitted in Russian in the form provided below:
We kindly ask you to send your submissions to email@example.com with the subject line: [Your organization name]_small grant application. After submitting the application you will receive a notification that your application has been submitted successfully. In the case that you face challenges in applying, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.